design inspiration
"The Wizard of Oz" inspires small space style









* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lately I've been catching up on some old favorites - from Sixteen Candles to The Wizard of Oz.  I am definitely all smiley (I still get the chills when the cars leave to reveal Jake Ryan waiting for her at the church) and nostalgic, to say the least.

I was inspired to turn one of the classics - 1939's The Wizard of Oz -  into small space decor. I have seen the film tons of times but I haven't watched it in full in a long time and so enjoyed it on a rainy Saturday night. The colors and texture of the film imagery sure got me in the small space mood. 

I've turned a fab meal into decor right here, a great cocktail into storage ideas right here and shoes into interiors here and here but this is my first film. I hope you enjoy my {small space} modern interpretation pulled straight from this amazing classic. Notice the underlined words as you go...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1. The Tin Man inspires these stylin products that add texture to a small space. Also, reflective accents {no matter how big or small} allow a space to feel bigger. 

2. This Jonathan Adler pitcher may be a baboon but it was inspired by the flying monkeys in the film. To this day - they still freak me out. But this sweet pitcher - I could live with forever. I would turn this into a vase for my office space

3. Loving these stenciled burlap napkins - a la the Scarecrow's scattered style.

4. This blanket {ok, it is a baby blanket *but* I think it could double as any style blanket} is a cool modern look at Dorothy's sweet outfit. By the way, I had read that the outfit was really pink and white but the Technicolor technician ran the film through incorrectly. 

5. This may not be small space decor *but* everyone lovely lady loves this fab gold sequin Vinace top inspired by The Good Witch of the North's insane dress. I would actually drape this over a chair in my small space as an accent too. 

6. Inspired by "a horse of another color", I absolutely love this collection of colored glass bottles - perfect for a display in your small space. Collections of items can pull a small space together .

7. Don't you love these city embroidered pillows? This Kansas one is fab! Throw pillows are one of the most affordable ways to make over your small space while adding color, style and texture. 

8. I always wanted Dorothy's basket. I mean, what was in there??? Instead of a hand held these days, I'd happily take this very modern and cool West Elm magazine basket - perfect to house my warm and cozy throw blankets. 

9. The Wicked Witch's looking glass inspired this cool item - artwork! Add this to your art gallery - very cool!



12. These abstract silver bear salt and pepper shakers would look very cool on display in your small space. 

13. I love the poppy field the cast runs through as they make their way to emerald city and this sweet ceramic platter is all about that! 

14. Emerald City is the inspiration for this very modern and cool faux malachite credenza. Tons of small space storage right here.


:: Top 3 images snapped on my iphone of MGM's classic, The Wizard of Oz, and lo-mobbed | all others are hyperlinked :: 

Share

Comments

2 Responses to "design inspiration
"The Wizard of Oz" inspires small space style

"

Al said... 12/20/2010

Obsessed with 5 and 6!

loving. living. small. said... 12/20/2010

me too! I tried on the VINCE top the other week and am. in. love. BUT not with the $300 price tag - eek! Oh well....

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on loving. living. small.